Tuesday, November 1, 2011

J. Crew Collection Review: Double Faced Cashmere Popover.

Hi, ladies!  It has been a while since this blog has been updated and I figured I would do a very long awaited review.  :)  I had wanted to make sure I actually wore the double faced cashmere popover in real life for a few days in a row so I could give a good, full review.

I spied this collection piece in the look book last spring and I hounded my PS to give the info on it, as I knew if I could save long enough, I could get a double faced cashmere piece for my closet.  I really wanted to have a piece made from this fabric as I discovered I LOVED the way it felt and looked after seeing Cleo's version last fall.  She decided not to keep hers, but if she is regretting her decision in anyway (lol, probably not), she can grab it again this year, as they have re-released it.

I liked the simple, quirky take on a classic blazer that this popover is and I figured that if I wore it twenty years from now small children wouldn't run up to me on the street and laugh at my expense.  That is one thing I insist upon when spending boatloads of saved money, pick something that will fit for a long time and will stay classic looking for a long time.  I have a feeling I am not alone here.

It retails at $1200 and flits in and out of "sold out" status.  I did not pay $1200...with the cardholder discount plus the educator discount I was able to get it for around $850 or so.  I have even seen a few pop up on ebay for far less, so if you really like it, and don't mind a clearance center black mark through the tag, you could grab one that way.  Or wait until the next all-inclusive promo (there was one for 25% off last week at jcrew.com) to get it.  I think the fabric alone is probably worth a hefty amount of money as I rarely have seen double faced cashmere pieces for under $1000, so in some sense J. Crew's $1200 seems fairly reasonable in the world of this luxurious fabric choice.  (For instance, I LURRRRVE this piece from Donna Karan, but yow, I cannot afford that.)

Okay, here are some in real life photos and more info on sizing:
I wore this popover for half of my trip to France.  It was just cold enough to justify it.  The nights also needed the inclusion of the scarf, a hat, and gloves.  During the day, though, I often just put my hands in the pockets so I could feel the softness of the fabric.

I have been (and will be) spending a ridiculous amount of space on my personal style blog on the Paris trip, which will include more photos of the popover in action, so you may want to go on over there in the couple of weeks if you want to see more.

Quick thoughts on sizing.  I had originally ordered the size small thinking that if the sizing started at size extra small that would mean J. Crew was going with their traditional (read: non-vanity) sizing.  I was wrong.  The popover on the right is my size small, and as I am sure you can all see, it is HUGE and all rumply looking.  I thought I would just suck it up, but when I told my PS the deal, she located an extra small near me, at Tyson's of all places.  :)

So I brought the large size small and tried on the extra small to ensure that was the correct size, and to my great relief it was.  The shoulders fit, the bust fit, the hips fit (amazingly), and the sleeves were still more than long enough.

Obviously I would never wear this popover with either of these outfits, as I am sure you can tell, these photos were simply try-ons for you all.  ;)

Also, the lighting in both rooms was radically different, but the color was exactly the same, closer to the fitting room photo.

If you are teeny, you will be outsized unless you are willing to pay good money for alterations.  I say use that extra mullah and buy something from net-a-porter.

This gives you a nice close up of the popover collar and color and fabric.  This photo will also be appearing on my blog soon, too, where I will dissect the rest of the outfit.  True J. Crew Aficionadas will recognize why I am wearing the blouse at the Eiffel Tower.  ;)

Hope this has helped some of you.  Definitely think for many of the Collection pieces it is nice to have a full review before purchasing.  Heck, I wouldn't have even considered it had it not been for Cleo showing me her pretty last year!

You all have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you picked this one up. It's very flattering on you. I like the classic lines, and the color is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this popover and have been sorely tempted by some of the ebay postings. Alas, I went too nutty with the recent promos, so it's out of budget for me. Maybe one day on popback by some miracle? ;) Looked lovely on you and must have been an easy and simple travel piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are capturing the Vanessa Look in Paris! smile
    Very pretty outfits and pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed that you are not updating your blog anymore. I like to see your new post.

    Christina @ Mens Belt

    ReplyDelete